Originally posted on https://www.oskeimsportspicks.com/betting-on-nfl/
As recently as just a few years ago, there were a lot of news reports published about how NFL viewership was down across the board. But last season, the NFL bounced back in a big way.
The NFL’s TV ratings went up by 5 percent during the 2018 season. And it won’t be surprising at all if the ratings continue to soar during the 2019 season.
This is at least partly because betting on NFL games is now legal in many states. People have always placed wagers on NFL games. But now that it’s legal, the sport has become more accessible to sports bettors than ever before.
Are you going to start betting on NFL games for the first time this season? Here is everything you need to know when betting on NFL teams.
Understanding the Different Types of NFL Bets
When you’re betting on NFL games, there are a variety of different types of bets that you can place. Some of the most common types of bets are:
- Point spread bets, which require bettors to “beat the spread” with the NFL team they bet on
- Moneyline bets, which call for bettors to pick which NFL team will win a game outright
- Total bets, which involve betting on whether the combined points put up by two NFL teams will go “over” or “under” a predetermined number
There are also parlay bets, teaser bets, and even prop bets that NFL bettors can place. It’s a good idea for beginners to test out the different types of bets to see which work best for them.
Figuring Out Which NFL Teams to Bet On
Once the 2019 NFL season officially kicks off on September 5, it’ll be important for you to keep an eye on how different teams do against “the spread.” It’ll prove to be a good indicator of which teams you should bet on week in and week out if you want to enjoy sustained success.
Last season, some of the teams that did the best against the spread included:
- Chicago Bears: 12-5 against the spread (covered 70.6 percent of their games)
- Seattle Seahawks: 10-5-2 against the spread (covered 66.7 percent of their games)
- New England Patriots: 12-7 against the spread (covered 63.2 percent of their games)
Some of the teams that did not fare well against the spread included:
- Atlanta Falcons: 5-11 against the spread (covered 31.2 percent of their games)
- San Francisco 49ers: 5-11 against the spread (covered 31.2 percent of their games)
- New York Jets: 5-10-1 against the spread (covered 33.3 percent of their games)
This doesn’t necessarily mean the Bears will be great against the spread again this season, while the Falcons won’t be good at all against it.
But it does prove that there will always be teams that are much better against the spread than others. By identifying those teams early on, you can gain a competitive advantage when betting on NFL games.
Taking Advantage of Live Betting
In addition to all of the different types of bets we mentioned earlier, there is also a new way to go about betting on NFL games. Most online sportsbooks now offer bettors the opportunity to engage in live betting.
Live betting involves betting on NFL games that are already in progress. By paying close attention to in-game trends, you can find a lot of value in placing live bets on NFL matchups. It’s a whole new way for sports bettors to achieve success.
Start Betting on NFL Games During the Upcoming Season
There are few things more fun than spending a Sunday afternoon betting on NFL games. You can enhance your experience by making sure you’re putting in the best bets on the board every Sunday.
We can help you do this by providing you with expert NFL picks each week. These picks will be based on research done by a professional sports handicapper.
Subscribe to our football package prior to the upcoming NFL season to get your hands on quality NFL picks every week.