Photo by Uwe Jelting
Originally Posted On: https://www.baycrawlspace.com/crawl-space-encapsulation-in-va-nc/
Crawl space encapsulation is a multi-tiered sealing system that works to protect your home from moisture damage. Encapsulating your crawl space helps manage humidity to prevent a hazardous environment for the wooden structure supporting your floors. Crawl space encapsulation is guaranteed to manage moisture levels effectively on a long-term basis.
When to Encapsulate Crawl Space
There are multiple signs that you may be in need of crawl space sealing. There is a risk that your home already has some sort of moisture damage or mold presence in the crawl space. Encapsulating your crawl space can stop any further damage and keep your home in great condition.
SIGNS FROM THE UPSTAIRS LIVING AREA
Sometimes you don’t even need to be inside the crawl space to notice something is off. If you notice any of these factors, consider contacting Bay Crawl Space & Foundation Repairs.
- Condensation around the floor frames
- Cold floors
- High humidity
- Noticeably higher energy bills (specifically with heating and cooling costs)
- Musty odor
SIGNS FROM INSIDE THE CRAWL SPACE
Examining the inside of your crawl space will identify the root of the problem. However, you need to understand what to look for in determining the need for encapsulation. The following are signs that you would benefit from crawl space repair:
- Hanging or fallen insulation
- Condensation on ventilation equipment
- Rotted wood
- Moisture on walls or floors of crawl space
- Pest infestations
How Crawl Space Encapsulation Works
There are 3 Sources of Moisture in Crawl spaces in VA & NC:
- Dampness from the ground, constantly releasing moisture
- Humidity from outside air and sweating ducts
- Groundwater and Flooding.
With a crawlspace encapsulation, a heavy vapor barrier liner, covering 100% of the earth is installed and taped. This blocks all of the moisture from the earth, from damaging the wooden floor structure. The walls are insulated and sealed with a special vapor barrier foam board. The support piers are wrapped and taped to stop moisture seepage.
Next, by sealing out the outside air with vent covers and sealed crawl space doors, the inside air will be minimally affected by outside weather, including humidity.
Finally, a crawl space dehumidifier will clean and dry the air in the crawl space. Crawl space dehumidifiers run automatically, as needed to keep the air within the optimum humidity range of 40-60% RH. We recommend and install Aprilaire dehumidifiers.
And remember, there is a 3rd source of moisture, crawl space flooding and groundwater. If the water problem isn’t resolved, it can flood an encapsulation, so it is important to properly address crawl space flooding too.
Top 10! Crawl Space Encapsulation Benefits
- Prevent Further Moisture Damage – Our ‘Dry Space’ Crawl Space Encapsulation is 100% Guaranteed to stop moisture damage in crawl spaces.
- Control Mold & Fungal Growth – Moisture breeds mold and fungal growth, which can both weaken your property and lead to costly repairs.
- Save Energy (15-20% Savings) – Encapsulating your property’s crawl spaces can lead to cost-efficient energy benefits. Save money by saving energy!
- Improve Indoor Air Quality – With crawl space encapsulation preventing mold and fungal growth, your indoor air quality will improve and maintain its quality over time.
- Add Value To The Home – A weakening foundation diminishes your home’s value. Home buyers feel secure with a strong and dry foundation, which helps home sales.
- 6. Dry Out Floor Framing – wood moisture above 20% allows wood decaying fungi to grow and damage wooden framing. Encapsulation keeps wood moisture below 15%.
- 7. Helps With Insects – Moisture attracts insects and can lead to infestation in the home. Crawl space encapsulation keeps the environment unfavorable for insects.
- 8. Low Maintenance – Crawl space encapsulations work behind the scenes while you continue to live your normal routine. The system only requires annual maintenance.
- 9. Warmer Floors – The sealed and insulated walls in an encapsulated crawl space trap warm air, lost by your home’s HVAC ducts. Enjoy warm cozy floors in the winter months.
- 10. Peace Of Mind – Encapsulating your crawl spaces provides homeowners with peace of mind knowing their home’s foundation is healthy, protected and secure.