Photo by Salmen Bejaoui
Originally Posted On: https://solidifiedpestcontrol.com/2020/07/types-of-ants-in-michigan
Did you know that over 100 ant species can be found in Michigan? Due to how much destruction they cause wherever they go, ants in Michigan have become notorious among homeowners. The moment you find one ant in your home should be the exact moment you initiate plans to call in the ant pest control professionals at family-owned-and-operated Solidified Pest Control. That’s because seeing an ant is an indication there might be more.
These are the types of ants that you may find in Michigan:
- Odorous House Ants: Odorous ants forage all day and build trails while traveling from one location to the next. They mostly infiltrate homes following rain and build their nests beneath floors or in the walls. They measure about 2.4-3.3 mm in length and emit a rotten smell when crushed. They also have black or brown bodies and their abdomens hide their petiole.
- Acrobatic Ants: Acrobatic ants can inflict bites when disturbed and also release a very offensive smell. They are commonly known to raise their heart-shaped abdomen if an intruder disturbs them. Acrobatic ants are usually between 1/16-1/8 inches in length and have a light to dark brown coloration. Some refer to acrobatic ants as cocktail ants.
- Little Black Ants: Little black ants have an unevenly rounded thorax, no spine, and they measure between 1.5- 4 mm in length with its waist structured in two segments. You will find little black ants virtually everywhere in the US as they are native here. Little black ants are also known as worker ants and they can be distinguished by their shiny black coloring coating.
- Carpenter Ants: Carpenter ants measure between 3.4- 13 mm in length and they are notorious for causing structural damage. Carpenter ants are among the largest species of ants. They do not eat wood, but instead use it as a nesting place, with stumps and hollow trees being their preferred nesting areas. The moment carpenter ants have their colonies established, they can go on to release great damage. They can be distinguished by their large mandibles and may sport a yellowish or reddish pattern across their black color.
- Allegheny Mound Ants: Allegheny ants in Michigan could build their mounds to reach a depth of 3 ft. underneath the ground and 4 ft. above ground level. They are very destructive and will bite into plants and trees near their colonies, infecting and killing them with poisonous formic acid. These black or brick-red colored ants don’t always enter homes, but love to consume bugs, aphids, and scales using powerful mandibles.
- Pharaoh Ants: Pharaoh ants measure around 2-mm in length with black and red-marked abdomens and yellowish bodies. Pharaoh ants take to hidden areas in any building to build their nests. When the weather gets cold, pharaoh ants benefit from the artificial heat sources that these structures provide, but can survive outdoors when the weather gets warm.
- Pavement Ants: Pavement ants have thoraxes and heads with parallel lines and measure anywhere between 2.5-3 mm in length. Their appendages tend to be lighter when compared to their black to light brown bodies. They love to build their nests in pavement cracks, along curbs, and underneath stones but will invade your home in their search for food.
- Fire Ants: Fire ants are often known for their bright red-coloring. They are a wingless insect that actually belongs to the bee and wasp family. Most people know that they have a fire ant problem after experiencing a bit. Fire ants bite down, stinging its victim. You might be left with many red bites that are puss-filled and last for up to ten days. These bites can be painful.
Ant problems are usually worse than you notice initially. If there are a few ants in your house or surrounding the exterior of your property, it is likely that there are more.
HOW TO IDENTIFY THE ANTS IN MICHIGAN
With so many different types of ants in Michigan, it is important to first identify what type you have before developing a plan to rid them from your home. You can often identify an ant by looking at images online as they each have distinguishing features. If you are unsure what type of ant is causing problems in your home, then you could also reach out to a pest control technician.
To get rid of ants, you need the best ant pest control services to locate and treat the colonies. With the help of the experts, you can easily identify different types of ants in Michigan and have them removed correctly. In addition to our identification guide which you can find online, we also offer complimentary visits to better understand your pest problem.
PROFESSIONAL ANT REMOVAL SERVICES IN METRO DETROIT
Solidified Pest Control is not only familiar with the different types of ants in Michigan, but we also know which techniques work to remove them, and which do not. We have effectively removed numerous ants from many households in the Livonia, Farmington, Farmington Hills, Waterford, Clarkston, Royal Oak, Westland, Plymouth, Birmingham, Rochester, MI, areas.
EXPERT ANT REMOVAL IN METRO DETROIT
If you need expert ant removal services in Metro Detroit, then we invite you to schedule a free consultation with one of our technicians at Solidified Pest Control. Give us a call today at (248) 820-3057. We offer both same day and evening appointments to ensure that you can get rid of your ant problem as soon as possible. You don’t have to accommodate the ants in your house.