Sustainable pet brand ‘Project Blu’ has partnered with global pet health and nutrition leader Mars Petcare to jumpstart the marketplace launch of its innovative pet beds and accessories. The partnership secures a $200,000 investment and direct access to experts in the pet market via the Leap Venture Studio accelerator programme.
“From the first time we met Geryn and his team at Project Blu, we knew we wanted to be a part of their journey. We look forward to helping them expand internationally to bring sustainable pet products to a wider audience and thus creating an even larger environmental impact”, commented Asad Butt, Director of Ventures and Partnerships, Kinship (A division of Mars Incorporated).
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Dinas Powys, Wales, 6 April 2020 – Founded by Welsh entrepreneur Geryn Evans in 2018, in an effort to reduce global ocean-bound plastic waste, Project Blu aims to reduce the environmental impact of pet products through a number of technologies. It is the first global pet product retailer to market with 100% recycled pet products.
Inspired by the success of the Adidas Parley collaboration, and having already designed several ‘integrated technology’ products for major retailers throughout his career in the furniture industry, Merthyr Tydfil born Geryn launched the first Project Blu range at the Zoomark exhibition in Bologna in May 2019. With every product handmade in Italy, retailers John Lewis and Joules were among the first UK lifestyle distributors to stock the revolutionary products within their pet care ranges.
With consumer demand for eco-friendly pet products at an all-time high, and pet owners expecting products to conform to the same high standards as their own, Project Blu aims to become a global leader for sustainable pet products. The range of eco friendly dog beds and cat beds, and everything from a recycled dog collar, leashes, or an eco dog toy, are woven from recycled Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) yarn, and recycled cotton to create a strong, comfortable and sustainable product. Upcycling ocean-bound plastic that has been intercepted from remote islands, beaches, and coastal communities, not only prevents waste but conserves resources.
“Project Blu has a proven track record for quality products and we were excited to see the traction they’ve had abroad in European markets. We were initially attracted to their innovative approach to making sustainable products for pets by converting ocean microplastics into reusable materials, something we’ve only seen in the retail space so far. We look forward to supporting and nurturing their growth over the next few months in the Leap Venture Studio”, added Dylan Boyd, Director of Network Development, at R/GA Ventures.
Having achieved a sales revenue of $700k in the first 6 months of trading, Project Blu has delivered over 80,000 pet products to international distributors and was recently voted ‘Best New Product’ at PATS exhibition.
“Since launch, Project Blu has accelerated at a rapid pace. We are now selling products across the globe and are very excited to be part of the Leap Ventures 2020 cohort in Los Angeles. Project Blu is proud to represent the Welsh start-up scene and prove that we can compete with the best on a global scale”, said Project Blu Founder, Geryn Evans.
NOTES TO EDITORS
Project Blu – PR
For further information please contact Laura Lowe at Project Blu
- T: 07786 266200
- E: [email protected]
Geryn Evans, Founder is available for an interview.
About Project Blu
Project Blu was born from a desire to challenge the traditional pet product manufacturing process and seek an alternative model to produce products that are sustainable, affordable, and fundamentally made to last.
Throughout each stage of the product journey, Project Blu aims to inspire and educate consumers about the dangers of plastic, polyester, and remnants of the ‘fast fashion’ industry. With recycled materials sourced from some of the worlds’ poorest nations, the circular business model turns plastic waste into a valuable commodity and helps alleviate poverty.
Project Blu Fast Facts
- Between 4.8 and 12.7 million tonnes of plastic enter the ocean each year. This is the equivalent of 1 rubbish truck every minute.
- The majority of our plastic is collected in the Maharashtra state in India.
- For every product purchased we make a donation to the Plastic Bank which cleans a further 1 pound (450g) of ocean-bound plastic.
- Each Project Blu pet product prevents between 1 and 300 plastic bottles from polluting our natural environment.
- Recycling 1 tonne of PET waste saves 0.7 barrels of oil. It also reduces our dependence on non-renewable resources such as coal.
- Intercepting PET bottles reduces plastic entering rivers, oceans, and landfills.
- Recycled materials use 75% less energy compared to the production of virgin polyester. CO2 emissions are also reduced by 32%.
- All of our raw materials are fully certified by GRS.
- Our upholstery grade fabric exceeds a rub test of over 50,000 cycles.
- Recycled polyester fillings have a high level of elasticity to maintain shape, even after washing.
- We combined recycled cotton clothing into our fabric to provide a soft and comfy finish.
- Our headquarters are based in the Vale of Glamorgan (Wales, UK) and our production facilities are operated in Tuscany (Italy).
- We aim to reach a carbon-neutral company status in 2020.
Dinas Powys, Wales UK