Photo by Fernando
Originally Posted On: https://www.recoveryranchrehabtn.com/addiction-blog/long-term-effects-of-heroin-abuse/
If you or a loved one are struggling with drug use, you need to know the long term effects of heroin. The drug can cause many negative effects, both long and short term. Some people find that addiction takes hold after one use, while it takes others a bit longer to develop the intense cravings and withdrawal symptoms associated with ongoing heroin use. When you or a loved one are in the trenches, fighting addiction, it can be hard to imagine that there’s a way out. At Recovery Ranch, we offer our clients understanding, hope, and coping strategies to turn things around. A sober, healthy life is possible. Letting go of addiction can be nearly impossible on your own. A heroin addiction treatment center in Nashville, TN is key to getting your life back.
Short Term Effects
Opioids, such as heroin, make fast changes in the brain and body. These changes begin within seconds of use. Short term effects associated with heroin use may include:
- Slowed bodily functions, including heart rate and breathing. Heroin slows the part of the brain responsible for automatic body processes.
- Altered emotions, which can cause fast addiction, even if the user only meant to try the drug one time
- Elimination of pain due to the blockage of pain signals from the brain
- A feeling of euphoria that fades quickly
The short term effects of heroin can lead to addiction fast because they also work to alleviate the symptoms of heroin withdrawal. A person in withdrawal can become desperate for the euphoric, pain-free heroin experience. They may be unable to think about or understand the long term effects of heroin abuse.
Long Term Effects
While the short term effects of heroin can be life-altering, things tend to get worse over time. Long term effects of heroin abuse differ from person to person and can depend on several different factors. A person who started using heroin in good health, with adequate access to medical care may have a different range of long term effects than a person who struggled with health conditions before they ever tried the drug. Long term effects of heroin abuse may include:
- Changes in the physical and chemical structure of the brain that create emotional and hormonal issues that may never fully resolve
- Deterioration of the brain’s ability to manage stress, make decisions, and regulate behaviors
- Increased dependence on and tolerance of heroin, requiring more and more of the drug to achieve the desired effect
- Heroin use disorder, a chronic condition that makes it nearly impossible to get off of heroin
The long term effects of heroin can be permanently life-altering. If you or someone you love is going through the long term effects of heroin abuse, it’s important to get help right away. The longer heroin use continues, the most severe the long term effects of heroin use can become.
Worried About The Long Term Effects of Heroin? We Can Help.
At Recovery Ranch, we’re here to help you get your life back. We offer many treatment programs, including:
- Drug and alcohol detox
- Inpatient and outpatient rehab
- Aftercare program
- Family recovery
When you call us to start your treatment, your counselor will talk with you about which of our programs make the most sense for your needs. We’ll be there with you from start to finish, helping you navigate the path to sobriety.
Change Your Future – Pick Up The Phone
At Recovery Ranch, we understand that it can be hard to reach out and ask for help. By researching more about the effects of drugs, you’re showing that you care about your body, and you know that you deserve more than a life plagued by substance use. We’re here to help. Call Recovery Ranch today at 1.844.768.0180 to learn more about how our substance abuse treatment programs can help stop you from becoming a victim of the long term effects of heroin abuse. You don’t have to become a statistic. It’s possible to change your life around, and it’s up to you to make the call.