Originally posted on https://www.centurianwindowfashions.com/choose-dark-light-colored-draperies/
The colours used for your interior décor influences the temperature and light you get inside your home. Dark and light colours have their own set of advantages and drawbacks. From the colour of the wall paper or paint, to furniture upholstery and window coverings- the choice between light and dark plays an important role. There are numerous factors that you will have to keep in mind while choosing the colour of your drapery. Toronto has numerous leading stores which give you a wide variety of choices for drapery fabric and colour and the flexibility to customize them.
This post discusses various factors to be considered when you are deciding between dark and light colours for drapery.
Pros and Cons of Dark-Coloured Draperies
The following are the advantages associated with dark coloured drapes:
- Dark colours work very well when you have a spacious home. Drapery in rich dark shades make large and high-ceilinged rooms visually shrink and appear cozy. If the furnishing is scarce and there is a lot of empty spaces, dark coloured drapes can make the room look fuller. To balance the overall décor, use similar coloured upholstery and other elements in the room.
- Dark tones add a visual contrast to your room which can be dramatic and striking. This also draws the attention of the viewers towards your drapery and away from any imperfection or clutter in the room.
- Dirt and dust do not show up as easily on darker fabric which means they don’t require as frequent vacuuming.
- There is a variety of dark shades and each colour is strikingly different from each other giving homeowners more choices.
However, there are certain drawbacks as well to bear in mind:
- Darker colours can be overwhelming in a small room and make it appear even smaller.
- Planning your interior design theme based on dark colours can be tricky as even the slightest mistake in the design gets highlighted.
- Drapes should be complementary to the wall colour for the best results. However, dark coloured drapes can be difficult to match with anything but neutral and light walls.
Pros and Cons of Light-Coloured Draperies:
Light coloured drapes have a few perks that makes them a popular choice:
- Shades of beige, white, ice blue, grey, and other neutrals have a timeless appeal and never go out of trend.
- Light colours reflect the light better and create the illusion of space even in a small room.
- If you are looking for light weight translucent drapes, usually they are available in lighter colours. These fabrics like lace beautifully flows and drapes that add more dimension to your interior decor.
- Dyeing the drapes in a different colour is much easier in the future when you opt for light coloured drapes.
- Fading from sunlight is not as prominent in the light-coloured drapes.
The major drawback of lighter shades is the tendency to get dirty easily. Any grim or dust shows up easily and hence the drapes have to be cleaned more frequently. Many homeowners prefer to limit the use of light colour draperies in rooms with low foot traffic to minimize its maintenance trouble.
Suitability Based on Colour:
The suitability of the draperies largely depends on the room where it is being installed. The amount of light and air the room receives, number of windows and the overall furnishings are important factors that you must take into consideration. Keeping in mind the following tips will help while selecting the suitable colour for the custom drapery in your home.
- In rooms that get abundant direct sunlight, installing light coloured drapes is a wise choice as these colours won’t fade easily compared to dark colours from consistent exposure to harsh UV rays.
- During the summer, lighter colours are more suitable for your home as it does not absorb the heat from sunlight easily. As a result, the temperature in the room does not get elevated.
- When there is high foot traffic in the room and a lot of activities take place, light-coloured fabrics are likely to get dirty easily. Choosing a dark coloured fabric is wise in this situation.
- Darker fabrics with blackout properties are a great choice for your bedroom for ensuring uninterrupted sleep.
- Dark fabrics can be used with a suitable lining even during summers or else the unlined fabric can absorb and radiate the heat, thus elevating the room temperature.
Considering the Lining:
The properties mentioned above can be altered and tweaked when you are choosing the suitable lining for the drapes. There are different types of lining material and each has its own perks. Lining the drapes adds structure and weight to the material that makes it easier to pleat. Depending on the type of lining you have chosen, it can also reflect or retain heat.
The following are the popular types of curtain lining that you can opt for your home:
- Blackout lining which can completely block the sunlight and ensure you can enjoy sound sleep even during the day.
- Polycotton is an affordable lining material that provides enough insulation and moderates the temperature during hot as well as cold climate.
- Thermal lining is specifically designed to maximize the heat retention within the house and hence, ideal for the drapery fabrics you are using during the winter.
If you are looking for custom drapery for your home, determining the colour is a vital task. Keeping in mind the various advantages and drawbacks associated with dark and light-coloured drapery, Toronto residents can search for the ideal fabric and colour from the several reputed drapery stores to maximize the comfort within the house.