Originally posted on https://wasserstein-home.com/blogs/smart-home/best-water-leak-detection-solution
Water damage is always unexpected. There is often no way to predict it – unless it is always happening. And even then, it’s a frustrating inconvenient situation that can become more costly the longer it continues without action. A visible water damage event is a big thing – but what about when you have hidden water damage? Like pipe leaking underneath a kitchen sink, water damage unseen under floorboards, carpets, and ceilings where it can take days to be seen.
The problems associated with hidden water damages are burdensome. In recent years, smart home manufacturers have introduced smart water sensors as a way to prevent this unseen serious water damages. Smart Water Detectors are worth buying, but what do we have to bear in mind when purchasing.
Factors to consider before buying a Smart Water Detector
- Water detection sensibility – Some water sensor sensors detect leaks at less than ⅓ inch while others notify you of a potential water leak as soon as it causes more serious damage. Before you purchase a water detector make sure you understand how much water it takes to sound an alarm or send a mobile push notification.
- Power source – Most water sensor detectors are battery-operated so they can easily be placed anywhere in the home without requiring professional wiring or wall outlets. If there’s ever a power outage, your water sensor detectors will not continue to work unless it is battery-powered. If you go for a battery model, look for one with long battery life. Make sure your sensor has a low-battery warning to automatically alert you that it’s time to recharge it.
However, depending on the situation, sensors must be wired and connect to your home’s water system for advanced features such as automatically shutting off one’s home main water source if a leak is detected.
- Water detection alerts – There are a few ways water leak detectors can alert you of bursts, leaks or flooding. Smart Wi-Fi water sensor detectors connect to smartphones and receive instant push notifications and alerts directly to your cell phone. Lastly, some sensors may sound a high-decibel alarm as well.
Best Smart Wi-Fi Water Sensor
If you’re looking for a device that will warn you on detecting the potential water leakage – our Smart Wireless Water Sensor offers reliable performance, helping to keep your home safe, by alerting you to a potential water leak before the issue becomes too serious, helping to prevent costly water damage. With its unique compact sensor head, it can be inserted into the smallest part of the house that other sensors may not fit into. It also has an AC powered version and a mini smart water detector that can easily be placed anywhere.
Smart Wi-Fi Water Sensor with Valve Controller
Our Water Sensor & Valve Controller bundle not only detects water leaks but can also shut off the main water supply itself. Instead of monitoring the water flow at the source, this bundle uses wireless sensors, placed at critical areas- such as underneath a kitchen sink— to detect leaks, automatically shut off the water supply and send you alerts too.
Water Leak Probe
This product combination detects the leaks before the damage becomes serious. It uses a 9-volt battery and is optimized energy efficiency to save you the hassle and expense of constantly replacing batteries. The water sensor detector can also be installed in tight spaces or anywhere else where water could water leaks may take place and with its ultra-loud 120db alarm alert you to take action. The water probe extends your leak detection to a very narrow place like the bottom of the washing machine or water heaters. Further, you can set it as a water level detector if the probe is placed at a certain height.
- Smart water detectors are extremely useful for protecting your homes and offices from water damage.
- These smart home products give you the benefits for less costly repairs caused by water damage.
- Decide which level of sensibility, power source, alert system best first your needs before purchasing.