Photo by Çağatay Demir
Originally Posted On: https://thesuphq.com/best-guide-to-getting-started-with-sup-fishing/
Do you want to know how to get started with SUP Fishing? Well let us walk you through all the accessories and setup needed to enjoy this relaxing hobby on the water.
Just so you know. Stand up paddle boards can be used for both paddling and fishing. Paddle board fishing is an interesting and popular activity for people who would like to get a different kind of fishing experience other than the way it is done traditionally on a pier or inside of a boat.
What is SUP Fishing?
SUP fishing falls under the category of active fishing methods. So, you’ll probably like this way of fishing if you like being on the water and have experience fishing. It’s worth noting that SUP fishing has many great benefits.
- Height Advantage for spotting fish in the water.
- Easier to get into tight fishing areas than traditional can not boats.
- Easier to transport your SUP board on the water than it is getting your boat to the water.
What is great about SUP fishing is that it provides a height advantage once you are standing on the SUP board. In other words, you have the opportunity to look down in places where fish are hiding. Plus, you can approach these hiding spots on a paddle board more quietly than on a boat.
You’ll find it a lot easier to fish on a SUP board than on a boat. With a stand up paddle board, you will get to your fishing spots quickly. A paddle board will make it possible for you to reach these tight to get to places easier than being on a traditional boat.
We all know that transporting a traditional boat or kayak to the water can take time and require a lot of caution during the transporting process. However, it’s a lot easier and safer to transport a SUP board to the water.
SUP Fishing Setup – Stand Up Paddle Board Types
If you are going to go out SUP fishing. You will first need the right SUP Board. There are different types of stand up paddle boards including Allround, Flatwater/race as well as surf. It’s worth noting that each type of SUP board has its own length, width, weight distribution and form.
Surf SUP boards are short and they have a narrow nose. The narrow shape of surf paddle boards allows surfers to maneuver on waves easily. On the other hand, SUP boards of this type are slower than others.
Allround paddle boards are wide and long. SUP boards of this type are versatile, so they can be used for multiple purposes. Allround SUP boards provide paddlers with good stability.
Flatwater/race SUP boards are designed for flat water. Boards of this type have a nose area as well as rounded sides. Flatwater boards go through water smoothly. It’s important to know that flatwater SUP boards are the perfect choice for stand up paddle board beginners.
- [SPECS]: This premium ISUP is 11’ Feet 6” inches long x 32” inches wide x 6” inches thick -||- Extremely stable & durable design -||- Great for all skill levels, the 11’6 Hippocamp…
- [LONG LASTING DESIGN]: All 11’6 Hippocamp Inflatable Paddle Boards are custom made with long lasting & light weight, Military Grade dual layer PVC material + High Density Drop-Stitch Core creating a…
- [UNIQUE FEATURES]: ‘Fingerprint’ textured IXPE top deck for extreme grip and comfort during long paddle and fishing sessions -||- (3) Pre-Installed Fishing Mount Plates + (2) Fishing Rod holding…
- Lightweight & Compact-Measuring in at only 38x18x12 in when rolled up and stored away in our unique easy load carry pack. The Fishing sup extends to 12ft long by 3ft wide when inflated and can carry…
- Loaded With Accessories & Features – Features an easy to use high-pressure pump to ensure your board stays rigid and strong all day, a lightweight adjustable paddle, easy load carry pack, rod…
- Pre-Installed Scotty Mounts – Personalize your expedition with the help of pre-installed Scotty Mounting plates that can be used to attach a gps system, action camera, downrigger, anchor or more…
- Exterior: 12’6″ x 40″ x 6″ / Deflated: 45″ x 15″ x 10″ / Board Thickness: 6″
- Hull Weight: 45 lbs. (hull only), 48 lbs. (w/ motor mount). Capacity: 2 Person or 500 lbs.
- Material: 1000 Denier Reinforced Drop Stitch / Seam: Quadruple Overlap / Air Valves: One Way
- BUILT FOR EXPLORATION: Designed for the paddle board warrior, the inflatable SUP board features a hybrid nose for fishing, touring, snorkeling, spear fishing, or recreational paddling in all weather…
- 35% LIGHTER CONSTRUCTION: The 10’6″ Weighs only 18 lbs & the 11′ Weighs only 19.5 lbs when inflated and the extra wide stance ensures a stable and sturdy stand up paddleboard; soft EVA deck pad adds…
- READY TO SURF iSUP ACCESSORY BUNDLE: Ideal for all skill levels and water conditions, the set includes a PEAK inflatable paddle board, paddle, coil leash, high pressure pump, fin, and waterproof phone…
- DOUBLE LAYER CONSTRUCTION–Inflated 12′ long 34″ wide 6″ thick, maximum capacity is up to 350 lbs, stable and great for all skill levels and perfect for Fishing.
- ULTRA DURABLE – constructed with additional PVC layer of board rails are highly strengthened the board durability.
- SAFETY & CONVENICE – 34” board width construction achieved amazing balance ability. 2 Function Kayak Conversion Kits easy transfer from ISUP AND KAYAK. Paddle holder system with fishing rod holder…
SUP Fishing Accessories Needed
You will also need to prepare all the necessary accessories for SUP fishing including the following:
- Life jacket or Personal Flotation Device
- Fishing Bag
- Paddle Board Seat
- GPS Tracker and GPS Holder
- SUP Board Light
- Cargo Net
- Long Sleeve Shirt
- Paddle Board Stabilizer
- Tackle Rack
- Waterproof Fanny Pack
- Fishing Cooler
- SUP Fishing Rod Holder
- Fishing Anchor
SUP Fishing Cooler
With a SUP fishing cooler, you’ll be able to keep your foods and drinks cold during your fishing trip. It’s crucial to pick the right size cooler for a SUP board. So, make sure the fishing cooler you choose will fit your stand up paddle board well.
Here Are Some of The Best Sellers For SUP Fishing Coolers
Bestseller No. 1
- Sport Type: Camping & Hiking
- Sport Type: Camping & Hiking
Bestseller No. 3
- THE WORLD’S COLDEST HANDS-FREE COOLER – engineered to be the most portable, high-performance soft cooler retaining ice for over 24 hours ensure that whatever the occasion, your drinks and…
- ICEMULE CLASSIC MEDIUM, SEAFOAM– this mini backpack has an inside capacity of 15 liters and is big enough to hold 12 cans, or 5 bottles of wine plus ice and measures 10 x 10 x 16 inches. ICEMULE…
- KEEP YOUR HANDS HANDY – the ICEMULE Classic is a sling style waterproof backpack cooler that comfortably straps to your back, leaving hands and arms free. ICEMULE backpack coolers feature double…
SUP Fishing Rod Holder
It’s hard to imagine a SUP fishing trip without a good rod holder, isn’t it? So, it would be in your best interest to pick the right type of a rod holder for your paddle board.
Make sure you choose a rod holder that will accommodate all types of fishing rods (short and long). It would be better to pick a rod holder with a safety trap as well. Thus, you can be 100% sure that your rod will never get lost.
Consider these three important aspects when obtaining a rod holder. You should try to pick a fully adjustable rod holder. In addition, you should aim to select a rod holder that will fit all types of rods and rail-mount systems.
SUP Fishing Anchor
Enjoying SUP fishing can be hard particularly if your paddle board is not equipped with an anchor. With a fishing anchor you will be able to stop your paddle board anywhere you want and keep it stable on the water where it is necessary.
When picking a SUP fishing anchor for your paddle board. You need to pay close attention to things like design and weight of your anchor. Also the length of the rope that is attached to the anchor. And of course, you need to make sure that your anchor can be easily folded for compact storage.
SUP Fishing Setup Examples
Tips for Successful SUP Fishing
- Always prepare for your SUP fishing trip in advance so you have all that you need when you are out there on the water and are not scrambling to find an accessory that you might need.
- Take advantage of the weather forecast ahead of time. You want to wear the right gear and bring the right accessories for rain or shine.
- Get familiar with your paddle board if you just purchased it before getting started with a SUP fishing trip. Make sure that your paddle board is safe when you get on and off it.
- Try to achieve balance in order to be able to cast and reel on a paddle board successfully. This will allow you to avoid falling overboard during a fishing session.
- Plus, you need to be 100% sure that your paddle board will paddle safely and ride smoothly when it’s loaded with all of your fishing gear.
- Pack all of your paddle board accessories and fishing gear the night before or a few days before your trip.
- Make sure that you take all the necessary fishing gear on your paddle board so you are not without the accessories that will make your fishing experience less enjoyable.
- Above all, you should take bottled water as well as snacks with you on your paddle board. This way you will have everything that’s needed to enjoy your SUP fishing adventure.
- Lastly, everything on your paddle board has to be well organized. Make sure that it will not take you too long to find all the necessary accessories on your paddle board once you are out on the water.
Final Thoughts On Getting Started With SUP Fishing and Your SUP Fishing Setup
It’s important to know that SUP fishing is all about having fun and a good time outdoors. That means that things may not go as planned during your SUP fishing adventure.
You must be prepared for the unexpected. You should also know what to do in case of an emergency should in the event something goes wrong. If you have all your boxes checked and have prepared yourself for your fishing trip. The only thing left is to go out, have some fun and catch some big fish for the day!
Let us know if you have gone SUP fishing for the first time or are experienced. What were some of the things you did or bought to make your SUP fishing experience a memorable and enjoyable one?